Monday, June 30, 2008

Pro's & Con's of the Oregon Bond Program

As mortgage lenders continue to restrict their lending guidelines in response to the "subprime fallout" it is no wonder that mortgage originators are increasing their reliance on FHA & state sponsored first time home buyer programs to fill the void.

In Oregon we have the Oregon Bond program (http://www.oregonbond.us/). This particular program is offered through the Oregon Housing and Community Department and is funded through tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds.

On the surface, the Oregon Bond program appears to be the "end all, be all" program for ANY first time home buyer. However, it is my goal with this blog post to inform you of the positive and negative aspects of this loan option.

Pro's:
*Low/ No down payment requirement- The Oregon Bond program has two down payment options for first-time home buyers. The first option called the "Rate Advantage" has a lower interest rate and carries a minimum down payment requirement of 3%. The second option called the "Cash Advantage" requires 0% down on the part of the home buyer. However, at the time of this posting the Cash Advantage program was temporarily suspended.

*Interest Rate- The Oregon Bond Program has a very attractive interest rate. At the time of this blog posting a borrower could lock in a 30 year fixed rate @ 5.75% for the Rate Advantage option. This is about .375% less than a comparable FHA option.

*Flexible credit approval- Like the FHA loan program the Oregon Bond loan can be fairly flexible in terms of an applicants credit score. Unlike conventional loans there are not adverse rate adjustments for applicants with lower credit scores.

Con's:
*Mortgage Insurance: The Oregon Bond loan program carries fairly expensive mortgage insurance requirements. Just like the FHA loan the mortgage insurance is structured with a 1.50% upfront mortgage insurance premium that gets financed into the loan plus a .50% monthly premium that is built into the monthly payment. For example, a $200,000 loan would get financed @ $203,000 to fund a $3,000 mortgage insurance policy at closing plus $83.33 per month.

*Recapture Provision: This provision is often overlooked by borrowers and loan originators but it can be a costly oversight. With an Oregon bond loan the home buyer may be subject to a recapture tax when the home is sold in the future. For a detailed explanation of this provision I would encourage you to research it at the Oregon Bond website. I will do my best to explain it here. The recapture tax is collected at a rate as high as 6.25% of the original loan amount if the home is sold within the first 9 years of the loan at a higher price than it was initially purchased for if the loan holder's income exceeds a certain threshold (currently about $70,000) at the time of sale. For example, a home buyer takes a loan out for $200,000 today to buy a home for $225,000. In 5 years, they decide to sell their home. At that time they sell their home for $275,000. If their household income at that time exceeds the threshold (determined at that time) then they would owe $12,500 (6.25% of $200,000) in recapture tax, even if they had refinanced during the course of owning the home.

*Inflexible guidelines: Although the Oregon Bond program is flexible in some degree (mostly credit and down payment) it is considered to be inflexible in other areas. For example, the program requires a 2-year work history in the same industry and school does not count. for many home buyers they have only been out of school for less than 2 years. These borrowers would not qualify for an Oregon Bond program but may qualify for FHA loans. Furthermore, there is a very limited set of Oregon Bond lenders to choose from. Therefore, an Oregon Bond application is subject to the underwriting tendencies of a few different lenders. This differs greatly from FHA where we can originate almost anywhere.

*Income limits: Unlike the FHA loan program the Oregon Bond loan program REQUIRES that an applicant be a first time home buyer (defined as not having owned in the previous 3 years) & may not have a household income that exceeds a certain level (depending on the county that the property is in). For the Portland-Metro area the income threshold is about $70,000 at the time of this post.

*Processing: Oregon Bond programs have to be reviewed by the lender and the state of Oregon. Typically speaking the process for getting an Oregon Bond loan is much more cumbersome and time consuming than a traditional FHA loan. We like to ask for 45-60 days to get an Oregon bond loan done whereas we can do FHA loans in a much shorter time frame.

16 comments:

David Helton said...

I'm about to face this recapture fee, and I'm trying to figure out if the income limits used to determine whether I owe this fee are (a) those provided to me at the time of the loan, or (b) those in place at the time of sale. Information on the Oregon Bond website are not specific on this point. Your post suggests that the answer is (b)--they use the income limits at the time of sale. If so that's good news--if the answer is (a) I will have to pay over $3,000, if it's (b) I'm off the hook.

Unknown said...

Oregon Bond Just lost its mortgage insurer and the cash advantage hasn’t been available for a long time.
Now it’s only good up to 80% so borrowers might be better off with a standard FHA or Rural Loan program.
Tyler @ Arbor Mortgage Group

Matt said...

Excellent blog post. I realize it came about a year ago but I figured I'd add two more "Cons" to the Oregon Bond program.

1) OB loans are unavailable for mortgage assistance of any kind. They aren't backed by freddie or fannie and as such...no refinance assistance or payment assistance for you.

2) Can't rent your property out even if you're having trouble keeping up with your payments. Even if renting at a loss they still have the power to make your loan due if they find out.

I think the OBL program needs some reform in these current economic times to help its participants. First time homebuyers are getting hit worse anyway.

Unknown said...

Is that really true regarding that they will make your loan due if they find out you are renting? I talked to someone at the State of Oregon months ago and asked them about renting out my home and that I'm a bond program member. They said that due to the current economic environment that they were letting people rent but this was not written anywhere. I'm trying to find out if it is written that they will make your load due. Robert.

Unknown said...

I found this out recently regarding the Oregon Bond Program....you would be allowed to rent out the property if you have lived in the home for at least one year. This is a recent change, mainly because of the economy and we are finding that borrowers needing to relocate for employment but cannot afford two mortgage payments. We have told our servicers not to monitor the property for owner occupancy after the first year.

Unknown said...

@Bobby - who did you talk to about this? I'd like to follow up and see if they have something in writing that they're not reviewing properties for owner-occupancy after 1 year. It would be terrible if someone took your advice and then found out that the person you talked to didn't know what they were talking about.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure why anyone would follow the advice of someone they don't know without researching every option.
First, start with the Oregon Department of Housing and Community Services and ask them specific questions if you are an Oregon Bond Program member.

Jr. Williams said...

My fiance and I are thinking about buying our first home. We are in our mid 20's and have no idea how to go about buying a house. Between the two of us we make good money, and have ok credit. not great, but not awful. We are able to get credit cards and finance a car (for a higher interest rate).
Any advice would be much appreciated. Im so sick of throwing my money away renting!
1st time home buyer programs

Unknown said...


How do you finance a growing practice? It is impossible to have a successful practice without good cases and managing good cases to a successful conclusion requires money for working capital. So, how does a growing practice secure the working capital it needs?
lowest mortgage rate

Robbin06 said...

Hey thanks for sharing this informative blog, it seems very helpful i was looking for same kind of content about Home Loans Rates

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Read your blog its really informative and helpful keep updating with newer post on Emi for home loan

maria scott said...

I am Maria from Texas. I was stuck in a financial situation in May 2016 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Godly woman a private loan lender who gave me a loan of 620,000 EURO and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 3% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact jasmin noor Loan Company (jasminnoorloancompany01@gmail.com).

Unknown said...

I`m Charlie Bean. I needed a loan to buy a house and I searched for a mortgage loan from all banks and I was denied and I loss hope of having my own house until I came across a post just as you reading my post now. I saw a post about a Financial Service Company who gives loan at 2% interest so I applied in STEAKLEY FINANCIAL SERVICES using their email steakleyfinancialservices@yahoo.com. And my loan was granted it was like a dream but was true and now am a owner of a house in Toronto and am paying the mortgage loan with no stress and I also requested if I can be granted a business loan and I was also granted. Now am living a happy life, I will advice you if you have an financial problems and you need money to settle it so you can pay with no stress just contact Steakley Financial Service at their email Steakleyfinancialservices@yahoo.com or number +1(512) 714-8010.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing such great information. It has help me in finding out more detail about home loan calculator

osma said...


Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com